“Wow! One word that comes up to me when I went through the stuff that you have created: Chocolate! My biggest compliments. I never knew we could make stuff like this nowadays … I went through everything today. I did it in 8 hours….without getting bored. On the contrary, it engaged me from start to beginning.”Commercial Trainer (Dutch)
An eLearning module is particularly useful when you need to provide an overview of a subject, to raise awareness of a topic or message, or provide interactive instructions on how to use a software application (typically known as Systems Training).
As an eLearning Developer, I specialise in rapid (agile) eLearning development, and I am all about speed, simplicity, interaction, modularity, cost-effectiveness, accessibility, and fun.
Depending on the learner’s requirements and needs, I include within the modules; knowledge checks, quizzes, interactions, videos, voiceover, real-world scenarios, simulations, and games.
If it is to be used to teach learners to ‘do something’, then the module must mirror workplace activities, and be interactive; not just a series of ‘click-through’ slides, with a quiz at the end.
Accessible for all!
When developing any online and/or printed learning interventions, I always have in mind people who may have learning difficulties, such as; dyslexia, autism, visual impairment, motion sickness, etc., so I aim to produce content and develop modules that can be comfortably enjoyed by everyone.
My eLearning Developer skillset, includes:
- eLearning development
- Graphic design
- Voiceover recording/editing
- Video production (including interactive video for scenarios)
- Copyediting (superb attention to detail!)
- WordPress development (inc. HTML/CSS editing)
- Simple LMS administration
Some of the main techie tools I use daily (and have used for many years) to develop eLearning modules, include:
- Articulate Storyline 360
- Articulate Rise
- TechSmith Camtasia
- Microsoft Office 365
- WordPress and HTML
- Adobe Captivate
- Evolve Authoring
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
Below are three examples of recent work I have completed, and please also visit the Gallery for some sample eLearning screenshots and videos.
[ EXAMPLE #1 ]
Reduced onboarding learning time by 12 hours per learner
Using a person-centred approach, I reduced a suite of 29 ‘content-heavy’ linear eLearning modules down to 7 ‘content-optimised’, interactive, mobile-ready modules, cutting down the time required to onboard a new employee.
- Saved the company a lot of money having significantly reduced development and maintenance costs.
- Saved the company 30,000 Euros in language translation costs.
- Saved the company money by recording the professional voiceover myself.
“I just wanted to send you my thoughts on the seven training modules which I finished today. I spent approximately 35-40 minutes on each module and used the action log along the way. This is one of the best e-learning training sessions I have completed over the years – the use of quality video is engaging and the voice over and tempo is good … A job well done, loving your work.”Industry Manager (new starter after 2 weeks in the role)
[ EXAMPLE #2 ]
Introduced eLearning to Mars, Incorporated
Helped introduce and promote the use of eLearning within the business, and was a key player in the design, development, and launch of their successful Mars University.
- Designed, developed, and deployed over 160+ SCORM-compliant eLearning modules for 12 Colleges.
- Was the main voiceover artist for 95% of eLearning/video, and was known as the “Voice of Mars”.
- Saved the company a ton of money e.g. using existing tools, reduced travel costs and trainer fees.
“Barry has a great ability to engage with subject matter experts, challenge the real learning objectives and to align this alongside a larger business goal or driver … Barry was never content to accept e-learning as the only option, he would understand his audience and determine the right media for maximum impact … I would have no hesitation in recommending him, both as a person and as a skilled on-line instructional designer.”Global Learning Technologies Director
[ EXAMPLE #3 ]
Saved many companies a lot of money using my voiceover
Professional voiceover scriptwriting, recording, and editing included within my eLearning development and video production services.
- Saved companies a ton of money from not having to pay extra voiceover-related fees.
- Voiceover edits, re-records, and script changes easily and quickly made at no extra cost.
- Easy on the ear, relaxed, natural, conversational, engaging, mature, friendly, and believable.
“I must say that the standard of the work you have undertaken here is amazing – I was really ‘blown away’. The modules are clear and easy to understand. The voiceover is great, and with the added bonus of a range of videos, it certainly brings the products to life! These materials are going to be such a great asset in terms of product training!”Senior Organisational Development Specialist